🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Shredded Pork and Chinese Celery Lo Mein

Dsc_0018_2

I have a question about the recipe "Shredded Pork and Chinese Celery Lo Mein" from thirschfeld.

asked by SallyM almost 3 years ago
Kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

I haven't seen the fresh egg noodles in most grocery stores (not even whole foods). I went to chinatown for the fresh ones, and I've made this recipe with the dried version with pleasant results.

Img__631-1_(1)

I get them at an Asian grocery but I have also made this with noodles on hand, such as spaghetti and it is still really good.

I buy noodles for anything lo mien in a clear plastic package with red print CHINESE NOODLE containing 13.2 oz. The logo is a stylized chef giving thumbs up and below that it says Mr Number One. I get it in a Thai market and they tell me its what they use in their restaurant. They have a perfect texture for lo mien and best of all they cook in about 3 minutes! These are imported from Thailand. They worked great in this dish, even though I would not make this particular dish again. I used pork belly that I cooked overnight in slow cooker and then fried to get crispy edges. Unfortunately, nothing much stands out about this dish for me, except one ingredient that I was unfamiliar with--Chinese celery. I think I will use it in place of regular celery in my fried rice. It cooks to an extremely mild flavor and has nice texture. The ribs are very thin which makes it easy to chop into nice bits for stir fries.

P.S. The noodles are with the dried noodles and they are not egg noodles. The only ingredients are wheat starch 78% salt 12% water 10%, but its hard to believe there could possibly be that much salt in them. but the label does say 400mg sodium per 25 gr serving. Wow maybe that's why they taste so good. I may have to re-think this. Probably not though, cuz I eat them so infrequently.