🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

I'm making fresh ricotta for the first time - what are your favorites uses for it? There's going to be plenty!

asked by PersephonesDish almost 4 years ago
Dsc00426

i spread it on crostini and top it with anything from jam to a drizzle of olive oil to seasoned beans (the picture is from this past spring, when favas had just hit the scene). it's one of my favorite breakfast and snack options.

1. I use it to make a variety of desserts (think cakes, fried ricotta dumplings etc), crepe stuffings, savory jelly rolls (as well as sweet ones) etc
2. use them in salad or to cook a baked savory dish
3. as a spread mixed with your favorite ingredients on corstinis, toasts, crackers etc
4. it is also extremely useful in making special deserts (from indian, south east asian, east european cuisines)

any stuffed pasta - from shells to ravioli. it is awesome. there is also a terrific recipe from Bitmman on the NYT site for ricotta gnocchi. Looked good, and with fresh how could it be bad?

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Pancakes! My favorite has to be in pancakes. The ricotta makes them rich, milky, and light! Just be sure to whip your egg whites for the ultimate form of pancakes.

Cakes

I make a ricotta pie with phyllo dough, stuffed shells, and stuffed roasted red peppers with feta cheese added as well.

Cakecake

My favorite way to eat ricotta: a dollop in the bowl beside a dollop of mashed butternut squash, drizzled with honey and seasoned with salt and pepper. (GEEZ, vvvanessa, that looks fantastic.)

Hilary_sp1

I make a really simple pasta dish with it.

Prepare some boxed spaghetti, and when it is nearly finished put some swiss chard or spinach in the water. Top the cooked spaghetti and spinach with a big dollop of ricotta, lemon zest, olive oil, pistachios and salt and pepper.

It's really, really good.

Dsc_0048b

love it with a sprinkle of sea salt and a little olive oil drizzled over top for a cheese course, but I REALLY like Merrill's hors d'oeuvre:

ADS

There are two great uses for fresh riccota. As mentioned by another blogger, they are excellent when used in pancakes- see if you can get the recipe for Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes from Bill's Restaurant in Sydney.

The other is serving a bowl of ricotta alongside a bowl of warm tomato sauce and some warm, crusty bread. Add a glass of red wine, and you've got the perfect first course.

Good grief - I am a FoodPickle believer! Amazing ideas. My family is going to eat like kings for the next few days! Thanks to all!

Image

I tested this recipe for Editors' Pick recently--it's wonderful:http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Kay_at_lake

It' makes an astounding cheesecake!

Me

I made fresh ricotta a couple weeks ago and used almost all of it in a bread recipe I created. I'll post the recipe as soon as I have a chance. It was wonderfully moist and great texture and flavor!

I've used homemade ricotta instead of mascarpone cheese in a loaf cake recipe. Wonderful!

Dsc03010

(Drool.) All of the above. I'm not even going to try to answer this one. You guys are really good.

Just looking at those Lemon Ricotta Doughnuts makes me feel fat...I know I would just want to eat all of them and tell my wife I never got around to making them...

Dscf2141

I love to use Ricotta in filled pastas, including Eggplant parm raviolis. Peel eggplant, process in food processor. Soften onions in olive oil, add some garlic, brown eggplant, add some wine and thyme/oregano. Then melt in some mozz. cheese and some of the ricotta (you can make both!), and use to fill pasta.

Ricotta, some fresh fruit (berries, peaches, whatever) and a tiny bit of sugar to sprinkle. It's delicious!

Dsc00426

i just stumbled across this and bookmarked it right away!

http://www.babbonyc.com...