My quince paste is weeping!

I followed Alice Waters' recipe closely, but required much more time to get a firm puree. Dried it overnight and all seemed well; cut it into cubes, rolled it in sugar and left it out to dry overnight again before storing. But now it's oozing quite a bit and doesn't seem anywhere near dry...??

asked by gluttonforlife almost 3 years ago
Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

my guess is that you needed to cook it EVEN longer... I don't find Alice Waters good for detail, tho great for inspiration. The puree has to cook down until it pulls away from the side of the pan and the bottom of the pan shows when you stir. You have to stir constantly so that it doesn't burn at the end. Then it needs to dry for a few days or in a warming oven overnight. THEN you can roll it in sugar. I just read a recipe for cooking it with cardamom and lime juice...

Ls

OMG, thank you so much for posting an answer. I actually return it to the pot and cooked it an EXTRA HOUR after pouring it the first time. Someone else told me not to roll it in sugar...? In the end I let it dry sitting out for 2-3 days and it stopped weeping but was still a bit sticky though quite firm. I've stored it in the fridge but am determined to find more quinces and start again...maybe with lime and cardamom!

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

found another idea for the quince paste from Canning for a New Generation
stacked up, separated by bay leaves, for storage
she also has problems with stickiness, btw

Ls

Huh. Very interesting, Wonder what that does to the flavor? Thanks so much for sharing this, luv!