A question about a recipe: Leg of Lamb with Garlic Sauce

033010f_518

Can I substitute lamb chops instead of the rack of lamb? How does that change the cooking time?

asked by Avec over 3 years ago
4798a9c2-4c90-45e5-a5be-81bcb1f69c5c.junechamp

This is a recipe for a LEG of lamb, not a rack. Of course, you could apply the herbs, etc. to a rack or separated chops, but it would be a completely different dish. Lamb chops, cooked rare, take almost no time at all to cook.

I would also think it would be difficult to poke holes and stuff them with garlic and anchovies in such a small area.

Admin, please the duplicate entries. I only clicked once! Thanks.

45b2e563-c57d-441e-9395-7f8b38257d39.avec_logo

Thanks ChefJune! I wasnt able to to buy a leg of lamb so I ended up using some bone in shoulder. Regardless, the recipe was a major hit! Incredible.

Good for you! When I saw your question I didn't even think about shoulder. That would also be a great vehicle for stuffing with anchovies and garlic. I sadly presumed you already had the chops! My bad. So glad it worked out well.

153e100a-284f-4c64-a3cc-72ac1de69d2d.zester_003

Another fan of lamb shoulder here (as well as lamb shank, which also would go well with anchovies and garlic in a braise). My own approach to roasting meats is based on internal temperature vs pounds per hour. Ovens can be wildly inconsistant no matter what the dial says. I use a Thermapen because you get a reading in 2 to 3 seconds compared to 20 for most "instant reads". Lately I've been fooling around with internal brines. Haven't experimented with lamb yet though.