Fuyu Persimmons

So - I succumbed to temptation and bought five of these beauties yesterday. They are very firm and bright orange. Do they need to become soft like an avocado or kiwi before I use them? What's your favorite way to use them?

asked by Burnt Offerings almost 3 years ago
Gator_cake

I generally eat the Fuyu's out of hand while they are firm. They make a nice addition to a cheese and charcuterie plate.

Dsc_0048b

Fuyus don't have to soften, though they will get a little sweeter as they do. I don't like them too soft, which can happen quickly, so I do tend to use them sooner. They are great cut into a salad when (like now) tomato season is over. I particularly like them with butter lettuce and a slightly lemony dressing. I also cut them into my breakfast yogurt and oatmeal.

Pamelalee

I also like to add Fuyus to fall/winter salads: arrugula, mint, pistachios or almonds, and a lemon vinaigrette, as healthierkitchen suggested. Once they start to ripen, store them in the refrigerator until you're ready to use them.

Burnt_offering

Oh thanks for the fridge tip - pamelalee! Excited to try them.

Dsc_0048b

Update - I refrigerated a couple that were getting ripe and they got kind of mushy, which I don't like, but some people love. So for me, no refrigerating. I did once freeze pulp from hachiya persimmons because by the time they finally ripened I ddn't have time to make the recipe I had wanted to. I eventually did use the defrosted pulp to make one of Kim Boyce's recipes: chocolate persimmon muffins!

Scan0004

My husband isn't eating tomatoes for the winter and misses them on sandwiches. Could the fuyu persimmon be used in place of tomatoes?

Dsc_0675-x2a

That is the kind of persimmon I was thinking of as a twist instead of tomato...maybe with a tiny splash of apple cider vinegar?

Gator_cake

Another tomato replacement I've had on a sandwich is roasted golden beet. There's a sandwich shop in town called Meat, Cheese, Bread that makes an awesome BLB sandwich when tomatoes aren't in season.

Photo_on_2014-07-11_at_6.17_pm

You could try them in dessert, too, Jamie Oliver has a Crème Caramel With Roasted Persimmons recipe in his new book Jamie's Food Escapes that looks scrumptious. I've made a traditional steamed persimmon pudding in the past that was really nice, too. I like the idea of using them in a salad with pistachios too!

Me_in_munich_with_fish

When firm, fuyus are great in salads or even stir-fries (not to mention eaten out of hand). When soft, they are exceptional scooped out of their skins with a spoon, lightly sweetened whipped cream on the side. I also recently made a quick bread with persimmon pulp. See my recent post on fuyus at http://www.thejoykitchen.... Scroll down a ways for the persimmon post. Good luck!