🔎

A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

OK riddle me this - I am now thinking I should dry brine the 20 legs we will be smoking for TDay - that should work fine right? AND - I love HLAs honey addition - honey smoked turkey legs?? I asked this on the recipe as well

036
Miglore

Kristen is the Senior Editor of Food52

I've never done it, but I think it sounds like a great idea! I don't think there's any reason not to dry brine a turkey. Ever. (Anyone want to disagree?)

036

Gonna do a test run this weekend and will report back!

036

Uruguay2010_61
usuba dashi added over 2 years ago

Dry rub with salt will work. My family have always been in the dry cure business, so a little suggestion . . . figure to dry rub for at least two days . . . we always used one inch for salt penetration per week. Rinse the legs before smoking and cooking. I would try a trial leg or two before going with 20 legs to make sure the absorption rate of the turkey legs is not more or less than other species

036

Reporting in - SUCCESS! We did 3 legs in salt and garham masala, and 3 in salt and honey per Hardlikearmor's suggestion. Both were delicious - but the honey one ruled the day so that is how we are going on TDay. We smoked them for about 4 hours, they were GORGEOUS deep bronzed, and absolutley perfect salt / sweet / smoke flavor.