🔎

• 6

• 905

Making this for guests tonight. What kind of salad would be best? Savory or on the sweet side? Thanks for wonderful recipe!reen and

I have a question about the recipe "Pear Soup with Pancetta and Blue Cheese" from fiveandspice.

Pear_soup
Dsc00202

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

I would do a simple arugula with perhaps toasted hazelnuts and shaved persimmon? Dress it up with olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt -- elegant. Very seasonal and uncomplicated to go with a quite complex soup.

Chris_in_oslo

I agree that you want something pretty simple, and Francesca's salad sounds lovely. You don't want to much sweet, as the sweetness of the pears is one major tone of the soup. And you don't want something to assertive, as the blue cheese is another one. The peppery arugula that Francesca suggests seems spot on to me.

lynneswift added over 2 years ago

Thanks for these excellent answers--suggestions for wine would be appreciated--would a dry Riesling work with this combination of flavors?

Chris_in_oslo

I think the dry Riesling is a good choice. I can't remember what we went with, but it was a crisp white.

Sausage2

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Hi! I tried to answer this earlier but it wouldn't seem to let me. But, I was basically going to give the same general idea as Francesca - an arugula salad with lemon juice, olive oil, and sea salt. So, there you go! And a dry Riesling would be gorgeous with it!

lynneswift added over 2 years ago

Lovely combinations of tastes--thanks everyone!