Can streusel topping (nuts, butter, flour, brown sugar) be made in advance? Assuming it's wrapped and refrigerated, how far ahead? Thanks!

I'm looking for more prep tasks I can do well in advance, preferably this weekend, given my client demands through The Big Day. Thanks, everyone. ;o)

Ece90812-0903-49a8-8e35-aa86c774be22.dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

For sure, AJ! I do that all the time -- prep topping, freeze it, and it's ready to go when you want to toss together a streusel, crispy or crumble. It can happily hang in the freezer for two weeks or so. Hope that helps.

francesca gilberti

B3038408-42c1-4c18-b002-8441bee13ed3.new_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Thanks so much! This does indeed help. I'll put it in the freezer, for sure. The reason I ask this is that I made a streusel topping for the apple tart I baked at pierino's house for the party there last month. I had to drive 3.5 hours to get there, and did not put the topping into an insulated bag. By the time I actually got the streusel onto the tart (in that hot kitchen, where it was sitting out), it had turned into a sandy batter-like substance. (It still tasted great when cooked, however. But it just didn't have the usual attributes of streusel.) The butter had started to melt, I guess. I wasn't sure if the moisture absorption could be avoided, but obviously, it can! Thanks again. ;o)

7b500f1f-3219-4d49-8161-e2fc340b2798.flower-bee

AJ, you could also put about a tablespoon of cornstarch in a clean coffee filter, tie it really well and put the bundle in the package with the streusel. Any moisture that accumulates will gravitate to the cornstarch first.