🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

I would like to try Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey with garlic. would you recommend crushed freah garlic or garlic powder??

asked by Terry Novak almost 3 years ago
Dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

Hi Terry! Check out Step 1 of the recipe, copied here: "You can flavor the salt with herbs and spices if you like -- try smoked paprika and orange zest, bay leaf and thyme, or rosemary and lemon zest. Grind together with the salt in a spice grinder, small food processor, or mortar and pestle." If you think garlic finds a place in that, go for it!

Thank you. I did see that and wanted to use rosemary, thyme, and lemon and add garlic, but was not sure if the moisture in the fresh garlic would change the nature of the dry brine Although, i do see that lemon zest would have moisture also. My inclination is to go with fresh crushed. Thank again, for your prompt response!

My concern for both the lemon zest and the fresh garlic would be that if you sprinkled it over the bird, it would burn in the oven. I think I'd only add them into the cavity. That said, fresh is usually always better than dried/powdered.