🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Portuguese Sausage and Clam Pie - What is aleppo pepper? Is there a substitute...chipotle maybe?

Sausage_and_clam_pie

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Portuguese Sausage and Clam Pie" from thirschfeld. It says:

"Add the aleppo pepper, paprika, bay leaves and the white wine. Burn off the alcohol and then add 1 1/2 cups of clam juice and the tomato paste. Bring to a boil and add the potatoes and tomatoes. "

asked by CookingMomTR almost 3 years ago
Mm_jj

Aleppo peppers are used by the Syrian and Turkish communities (which makes sense since they're named after a city in Syria). I think it's closer to an Ancho than a Chipotle. Hope that helps!

Dsc00859_2

Aleppo pepper is a mild ground pepper, fruity and with a little kick. Chipotle is smoky--different flavor profile. You might add just a pinch of cayenne in its place.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually found a spice place in Calgary that sells Aleppo pepper.

Another substitute would be piment d'esplette. But there is already "paprika" in his so I think what Mr. T wants you to do is balance the spices. I wouldn't go near chipotle for this. In fact I don't go near chipotle period. If you can find some dried Spanish nora peppers, seed and reconstitute them that might work too.