🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

What type of GREEN SALAD are you making for Thanksgiving (if you are making one?) Do you have a good Thanksgiving vinaigrette?

I signed up to bring a green salad and I am not coming up with anything yet.... what will complement both the sweet dishes and the savory? Is fennel and arugula too strong? And I am also bringing lemon-ginger sweet potatoes, so I don't want a green salad that is too sweet. Thank you for your input!

asked by Sadassa_Ulna almost 3 years ago
Jc_profilepic

http://www.food52.com/blog... If I only looked a little harder?

Headshot
broccolirose

Natalie is a recipe tester for Food52.

Nice find! It looks like all of these salads have some sweet and savory components in them to complement the traditional Thanksgiving dishes. I would personally use slightly less cheese or meat in the salads just to keep them lighter and more vegetable-based.

3-bizcard

I am making AJ's haricot vert a la dijonaise.

3-bizcard

There's a great side show on the home page with some great thanksgiving salad ideas. The one with pomegranate seeds and butternut squash looks delicious, and its obviously very seasonal.

As to the second part of your question, here's an arugula and fennel salad recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork...

Balthazar serves a salad I love, which has, as its components, bibb lettuce (I think), harits coverts, thin green beans that are blanched (I would not substitute green beans), thin asparagus, also lightly blanched, thinly sliced shaved fennel, ricotta salata, all dressed with a truffle vinaigrette. It's phenomenal served with some crusty bread. I'd say, if you do not want to be bothered with blanching both the haritz coverts and the asparagus, which you'd want to blanch separately, you could just go with the harits coverts and skip the asparagus.

Dsc06467

Hi! I would go with a good simple green salad dressed up as follows. u can mix 2 or 3 greens and then cheese cubes (something white) sesame seeds preferably for they are green and in season. Or sunflower seeds or sesame seeds any of these will give U a little crunchy. Add some small cubes of raw pumpkin ( or cook them a little if U prefer) by now it has color and personality lol. Then a nice simple vinaigrette in which you can blend with either cranberry, raw pumping or apple then U have either a pumpking, apple or cran vinaigrette. Top it with some pecans. And enjoy! You're salad and the compliments that will come with it. The salad will stand by your dinner but not protagonize. This I created just now on the spot personalized for U LOL; Simple salad but with personality and not common. Enjoy and happy thanksgiving !

Dsc06467

Dsc06467

Dsc06467

Dsc06467

UOOOPS!!! Soooorry ! I pressed "ADD" 4 times! I thought it wasn't responding....
;-). Happy Thankgiving ! ;-)

Image

I'm making this salad http://food52.com/recipes... minus the speck and cheese because people in my husband's family pretend to keep kosher. It's very light, and the lemon and olive oil make a tasty dressing without overpowering the other flavors. I also generally use fennel in place of the celery.