Par baking dinner rolls

I have searched online for help with par baking dinner rolls. If you are par baking do you bake at the same temperature as you would if you were baking til done? I am going to make the rolls on Wednesday and finish on Thursday. I worry that the bottom of the rolls will get brown during par baking and become too brown when I finish them.

3-bizcard

The recipe say's bake at 350 degrees.

You'll be fine. AntoniaJames did the same thing. If you used only bread flour, the final done temp wants to be 185, so for a par bake shoot for 165. That will give you a good oven spring, and coagulate the proteins so your rolls won't fall when you take them out of the oven on the par bake. If you used a portion of all-purpose flour, the finished temp wants to be 175, so shoot for 155 on the par bake.

By temp I mean internal temp ; )

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I'm fairly certain that mine sank because the internal temperature was too low when I took them out. I did not check, but that seems most plausible. They made lovely croutons and bread crumbs, however. I made another batch today (a different recipe, however) and put them in the freezer, in my spring form pan, after the first rise and after shaping. Fingers crossed they'll turn out well. If not, no matter. I'll bake some biscuits while the bird is resting!! My family will love them as much, if not more, than the dinner rolls. ;o)

3-bizcard

I have decided to make the rolls on Wed, and refrigerate for the second rise, bring to room temp, let them finish proofing and bake after the bird is done. I hope it works.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Make sure you thoroughly butter a piece of plastic wrap and put that directly on top of the rolls before you tightly cover them, to keep the top from drying out. I have had real problems with dough rising too much when refrigerated. However, I'm not sure I've ever tried it with shaped rolls before the second rise. I'm tempted to experiment with that, simply because I'm interested. However, I don't have enough room in my fridge this week, so it will have to wait until next weekend!! ;o)

3-bizcard

I have not tried this before, I have used the refrigerator rise on pizza dough and foccacia but never on shaped rolls. I guess worst case scenario is that if they rise too much in the fridge and are ruined I will do as I do every year and make them the day of. I was trying to save myself some work on T-day but could very well make more work for myself if it doesn't work out. I will butter or oil the plastic wrap, I found out the hard way that I have to do that when it stuck to the tops of my rolls. My recipe calls for a 90 minute first rise and the second rise is 2 hours, if my kitchen is warm its 2 hours last year it was almost 3 hours because it was cold. So possibly the fridge will retard the rising enough so that they will be alright but it's a long time between making the night before and the time I put them in the oven around 5PM. We eat later than most on Thanksgiving. We'll see. Thanks AJ and hope it all works out for you.

3-bizcard

Thanks b, I don't have a thermometer to check bread temp. I better go buy one.

It might be the best <$10 you've ever spent!

3-bizcard

This was all so helpful, going online right now to buy one with speedy delivery.

Merrill

I'm really happy to know all this too. Thanks, boulangere!