How far ahead can you make mashed potatoes?

asked by Jen Raskin over 2 years ago
3-bizcard

I was just discussing this with my Mom last night, I wondered if I could make the mashed potatoes a day before Thanksgiving, she said watched Ina Garten on foodtv and she said she always makes her potatoes the day before then re-heats them on Thanksgiving. I have not tried this but have done it lots of times with left over mashed potatoes. I am going to make them tomorrow and heat them up on Thursday.

Absolutely! Make the day before, pull them out of the fridge at least an hour before reheating, then reheat to an internal temp of 165. Stir them frequently while they're reheating.

3-bizcard

Great, lessen workload on the big day! Thanks b.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I agree, this is great to know! And I really appreciate everyone's tips. I'm definitely making ours tomorrow evening and not on T-Day. ;o)

Okay girls-there is so much more you can do-put all your sides in a bag or container, measure out butter, eggs, dry goods....sautee in advance and just pull together on the day...I am determined to be with my guests this year. Will boil and rice my potatoes, will heat milk, butter and garlic and whip in riced potatoes in the end.....be prepared I am already 85% done accept for the Turkey although he is clean and in the fridge, will be brining tomorrow, but broth is made, sides are in their containers ready to quickly come together, pie crusts in the fridge-picking apples tomorrow all flour, sugar salt etc measured out.
Work hard for a couple of days then enjoy the day.....I am determined to enjoy my guests.

3-bizcard

I am of the same mind set. Every year I kill myself on the big day. This year I vow not to do that and will make as much ahead as I can. Started yesterday with cranberry sauce and stock, today did pie dough, made and oven dried cornbread, cleaned and prepped veggies and still working. I am determined tis year to have a stress free Thanksgiving. I will also have less pots and pans to deal with, thats a plus!

I made a mashed potato casserole last Christmas that has sour cream and cream cheese in it and made it the day before...the only thing different that I did was increase potatoes from 5 pounds to 8 pounds...reheat in a slow cooker...when six year olds tell you they want to take mashed potato leftovers home you know you have a hit! here's the recipe:

http://busycooks.about...

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

B, you crack me up!! ;o)

Buddhacat

It is great to make mashed potatoes ahead of time. Just add extra fat so they don't dry out when reheating. Inpatskitchen has the answer adding cream cheese. I bake mine because I don't have a slow cooker.