🔎

How far ahead can you make mashed potatoes?

3-bizcard

I was just discussing this with my Mom last night, I wondered if I could make the mashed potatoes a day before Thanksgiving, she said watched Ina Garten on foodtv and she said she always makes her potatoes the day before then re-heats them on Thanksgiving. I have not tried this but have done it lots of times with left over mashed potatoes. I am going to make them tomorrow and heat them up on Thursday.

Absolutely! Make the day before, pull them out of the fridge at least an hour before reheating, then reheat to an internal temp of 165. Stir them frequently while they're reheating.

3-bizcard

Great, lessen workload on the big day! Thanks b.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I agree, this is great to know! And I really appreciate everyone's tips. I'm definitely making ours tomorrow evening and not on T-Day. ;o)

Putsygirl added over 2 years ago

Okay girls-there is so much more you can do-put all your sides in a bag or container, measure out butter, eggs, dry goods....sautee in advance and just pull together on the day...I am determined to be with my guests this year. Will boil and rice my potatoes, will heat milk, butter and garlic and whip in riced potatoes in the end.....be prepared I am already 85% done accept for the Turkey although he is clean and in the fridge, will be brining tomorrow, but broth is made, sides are in their containers ready to quickly come together, pie crusts in the fridge-picking apples tomorrow all flour, sugar salt etc measured out.
Work hard for a couple of days then enjoy the day.....I am determined to enjoy my guests.

3-bizcard

I am of the same mind set. Every year I kill myself on the big day. This year I vow not to do that and will make as much ahead as I can. Started yesterday with cranberry sauce and stock, today did pie dough, made and oven dried cornbread, cleaned and prepped veggies and still working. I am determined tis year to have a stress free Thanksgiving. I will also have less pots and pans to deal with, thats a plus!

inpatskitchen added over 2 years ago

I made a mashed potato casserole last Christmas that has sour cream and cream cheese in it and made it the day before...the only thing different that I did was increase potatoes from 5 pounds to 8 pounds...reheat in a slow cooker...when six year olds tell you they want to take mashed potato leftovers home you know you have a hit! here's the recipe:

http://busycooks.about...

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Voted the Best Answer!

I'm totally with you all on this. I made focaccia last week and froze it for the chorizo/mushroom (Book One) dressing; made the croutons on Sunday, as well as pie crusts; roasted neck and back to make turkey stock last night; roasted sweet potatoes at the same time; sauteing the chorizo and veggies tonight for dressing, etc. When I planned my menu, I broke down each dish, studying the recipes to figure out what tasks could be done in advance, including how to combine with weeknight dinner activities. E.g., tonight I'll grate cheese for fennel gratin at the same time I grate the cheese served with tonight's dinner (meatballs and sauce made/frozen ten days ago). My son laughed when I told him I was planning the invasion of Normandy. You all, I'm sure, can relate. ;o)

I like to tell my family that my next trick will be solving world peace.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

B, you crack me up!! ;o)

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

It is great to make mashed potatoes ahead of time. Just add extra fat so they don't dry out when reheating. Inpatskitchen has the answer adding cream cheese. I bake mine because I don't have a slow cooker.