🔔
🔎

How much time to roast an 18-lb bird if using dry brining (Judy Bird or CI) and the hi/low heat?

The Cook's Illustrated recipe is for only 12-14 lbs, and is 45 minutes at 425 with the breast down, and then only 1.5 hours at 325 flipped over.

If you use the standard 30-minutes-per-lb at 325, that puts an 18 lb bird at 9 hours, which can't be right.

Also, I can't tell from the Judy Bird recipe here whether the total roasting time is 30 minutes at 425 PLUS 2 3/4 hours at 325, or if 2 3/4 includes the 30 minutes at a higher temp. (Also, that recipe is only for up to 16 lbs, closer, but I'm assuming I'll still need to add some time. Question is, how much?)

asked by CecilyTechuan about 3 years ago
Steph
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

You will need to add time to reach 165 degrees. Minutes-per-pound guides can be tricky since there are so many variables. In the Cook's Illustrated recipe for a crowd, they roast for three hours total for a 15-18 pound bird.