🔎

• 7

• 1605

• See other questions tagged:
    • ham

Suggestions for leftover spiral ham? And the bone?

Image003
Homemadecornbread added over 2 years ago

A hearty pot of black beans with Cuban flavors would be a nice use for the bone from your ham. I'm thinking red bell peppers, onions, garlic and my favorite in black beans, fresh ginger and that ham bone.

tastyfish added over 2 years ago

Leftover ham screams for a good pasta carbonara and the bone is great for beans, soup etc.

Image

red beans and rice for the bone. oh yeah.

RobertaJ added over 2 years ago

If you don't want to make such a heavy dish as soup or red beans & rice immediately, stash that bone (well wrapped) in the freezer. Come late January, you'll be happy you did when you pull it out to make navy bean soup, split pea soup or the iconic red beans & rice. The leftover ham slices are great in a potato/ham gratin, omelettes, sandwiches of course, hash, ham salad, scrambles.....slices also freeze well, (again well wrapped) and packaged in "dinner-sized" bundles. Add some of that to whatever soup or beans you make, as well.

inpatskitchen added over 2 years ago

I totally agree with RobertaJ..that bone (along with a little ham) is going in my freezer for a huge pot of ham and bean soup come January!!

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870
Helen's All Night Diner added over 2 years ago

I am trying to clear out my freezer space, so I cooked up a big batch of ham stock with the bones I had saved. I have a pressure canner which makes life a bit easier. Now I have 5 quarts of ham stock waiting for all manner of dried beans and lentils! I also did 3 quarts of turkey stock for gravy, pot pies, and whatnot for later in the season... Happy, happy!

036

we are having this tomorrow!