peeling eggs

I like to add soft boiled eggs to salads, but have a terrible time peeling them. I have trurd various approaches - ice water baths, peeling while warm, baking soda in the water... However no approach has proved reliable. Anyone here got a foolproof method? Thanks in advance. Chris

asked by ChrisBird almost 3 years ago
Face_hat_underpainting_1

Don't know if it works, but I recently interviewed Chef Hugh Acheson about his new cookbook. We talked about his egg-peeling method in the book. It was for hard boiled eggs, but seems like it might transfer ok. The main thing was that after the initial ice bath, slightly crack the shells and return to the cold water. Then the cold water can make it's way under the shell and make peeling easier.

Worth a try.

38916_436459907496_630567496_4644491_7354821_n

also... the fresher the eggs are the more difficult they will be to peel. as eggs age a bit the albumen separates from the shell a bit more and makes them easier to peel. i used the ice bath method and crack the eggs a bit in the ice bath.