🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Can I freeze lemon curd or tarts made with lemon curd

asked by mbmeyer almost 3 years ago
Dsc00426

i freeze lemon curd, and it defrosts just fine. i press a layer of plastic wrap onto the surface of the curd to keep it from getting icy.

P1291120

VVVanessa - what about the crust combo? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be best to freeze the tart shells and the curd separately? Haven't actually tried it, so am curious about your (or others') success with this?

I guess that is part of my question. Should I bake shells, assemble and freeze the whole combo ahead and just thaw or do shells, freeze, then day ahead bake shells and then fill?

Bigpan

I think you (and your guests) will be happier if they are not frozen - just does not taste the same when frozen.

The method that will likely give you the best results is to make your tart dough (I always make enough dough for 2-4 tarts so it's easy to a so-to-speak rabbit out of the hat when I need to), shape it into disks about 3/4" thick, double-wrap it in plastic, and freeze them. Same with the lemon curd. It's enough of a process to make, that it's well worth making a double batch and freezing it in two single batches. A piece of plastic directly in contact with the surface will keep a skin from forming. Then, the day before the day that you plan to serve the tart, pull what you need to the refrigerator, and on serving day, roll and bake the shell, pour in the filling, finish it off in your own way, and there you are!

Buddhacat

Vvanessa and Boulangere took the words right out of my mouth!