Position: Rails & Web App Engineer
Join our tech team in NYC and help build the future of cooking!
- Implement rich web application features end to end on our Ruby on Rails (MVC) / Knockout.js (MVVM) application stack
- Continually improve the quality of our code through refactoring, and other software engineering best practices
- Design and maintain APIs to serve our application data model both to our client side web application and our mobile apps
- Strong engineering background in algorithms, data structures, data modeling and software engineering
- Experience wrangling large software applications and balancing the pulls of best practices in software design (abstraction, composability, testability, modularity) and getting it done
- Experience with Ruby and Ruby on Rails (or with Python and a similar framework and a desire to learn fast!)
- Nice to haves: experience with Knockout.js or other client side templating / data binding libraries
please send your resume and any relevant background (e.g github, example projects, linked in) to email@example.com.
Why work at Food52?
- Work on something you care about We're a mission driven company with a goal of inspiring and helping people become confident home cooks. Help build the best collaborative and comprehensive cooking experience online.
- Take part in the product design and feature development process all the way from conception, to development and metrics instrumentation to validation. When we launch features on Food52, we have a specific idea of what goals we want to help our users accomplish and how we can measure success. You'll have the chance to help think through the entire process and make changes as you see fit - no arguing about button styles, when the user is measurably having better experience, we've succeeded!
- Eat good food, have fun and maybe even become a better cook! Between our founders and our talented staff of food writers, photographers and editors, and many of our engineers that are passionate about cooking, we've got a whole lot of cooking knowledge in the office, it will rub off on you! Enjoy the fruits of the editorial team's posts, contests and themes as delicious food ends up in the office on a regular basis from donuts to Ibérico ham!
- Grow and learn on the job We encourage tech team members to continually sharpen their swords and dive into new areas. Good at Rails but curious about iOS? Spend some time learning and pitch in on the app! Want to jump in and help out with our EC2 infrastructure but haven’t done that kind of thing before? You are welcome to spend time learning the requisite skills on the job and start helping out. Want to help with our predictive models and always wanted to dive into Machine Learning? Take a coursera course and start pitching in!
Our Tech Stack & Tools
- Rails 3
- Engine Yard
- iOS apps for iPad and iPhone
- New Relic
- Tasty Treats
- Chemex Brewed Coffee