If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sopes are small, round, tartlet-like cakes made with masa harina, the flour used to prepare corn tortillas. A sope can be filled with anything from meat, beans, salsa, cheese or a combination of these. My simple recipe is filled with black beans, roasted chiles, and topped with queso fresco and cilantro. Growing up we called them chalupitas, or “little boats”. These are great appetizers for any party. - MuyBueno
Makes 8 large sopes or 16 small sopes
- 2 cups masa harina (recommend Maseca Corn Flour Masa)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 4 roasted long green chiles, sliced ½” strips
- 4 cups cooked pinto or black beans (or canned beans), drained
- 2 cups queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 cup cilantro sprigs
- Avocado slices (optional)
- Combine the two cups of masa harina, salt, and water. Stir until mixture is smooth and slightly sticky. Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time, if needed. Dough should be soft like play-doh and not dry.
- Divide masa mixture into 8-16 portions (depending on desired size). Cover with a damp cloth to keep the dough soft and moist. I like keeping mine in the same bowl I mixed the dough.
- Line your tortilla press with plastic wrap. Place each ball between the plastic wrap and press down to form a little ½” patty. Peel off the plastic wrap. If you don’t have a handy dandy tortilla press you can use a heavy skillet or pot to make the dough circles. Or use your hands to form a patty.
- Preheat an ungreased comal (griddle) on medium-high heat. Cook each sope on the comal for about 2-4 minutes on each side until dry. Repeat with the remaining sopes.
- To form the sopes you will need to work quickly while each sope is warm off the comal.
- Take each sope and working from the center outward, pull the warm dough pinching up the edge of the round to make a ridge. You may need to dig into the dough because it has cooked a bit. You will do this all the way around until you create a little boat.
- Set each one aside until you are ready to fill.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Fill each sope with beans and chile. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with queso fresco, cilantro, and garnish with avocado slices (optional).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)