Author Notes: Ward off the tale end of winter with a sunny trip to Spain! - Ginger's Kitchen
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together both flours and salt. Remove 1/4 of the mixture to a small bowl and add the water, making a paste. Set aside.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or fork. Once it starts to take on a crumbly consistancy, add the paste and mix well to make the dough. Once it gets too hard to stir, get in there and mix with your hands.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Roll out to fit an 11 inch tart pan.
- Place the dough in the tart pan cutting off any excess. Place parchment paper over dough and add pie weights.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 - 2 cup fresh kale, chopped small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 ounces Spanish chorizo, sliced
- 1 14 oz. can cannellini beans, drained
- 4 fresh sage leaves, or to your taste
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, sliced
- Manchego cheese, shaved
- In a small cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chopped kale and and cook 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chorizo and cook another 3 or 4 minutes or until chorizo gets a little brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, puree the cannellini beans and sage unti smooth. Add salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Spread the bean puree onto the cooled crust. Layer the kale, chorizo and red bell pepper strips. Shave the cheese on top and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)