If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In the Bay Area, artichokes come into season twice / year. They may be my favorite vegetable. When I came across a recipe for a greek recipe that roasted chicken in a pot with potatoes, lemons, olives, and herbs, it occurred to me that artichokes could be the perfect complement. It was. Delicious. - seasonista
- 1 Chicken, cut into 8 portions
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 4 bay leaves
- 1.5 pounds small yellow potatoes
- 4 globe artichokes
- 15 kalamata olives
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- You may want to ask your butcher to carve up your chicken.
- Cut the stems off the artichokes, peel off the outside round of leaves, and cut the tips off the leaves. Steam them for 20 minutes.
- Brown the chicken in a skillet.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lay the chicken in a large roasting pan. Pour half the lemon juice over the chicken. Sprinkle liberally with salt & pepper.
- Place the artichokes in the pan, spaced evenly. Distribute the bay leaves and olives around the pan.
- Half or quarter the potatoes lengthwise, creating pieces about 1.5" thick. Arrange around the chicken and artichokes.
- Combine the rest of the lemon juice, olive oil, and one cup of water. Pour over the pan. Sprinkle liberally with salt & pepper. Turn the potatoes to make sure they're well coated with the liquid.
- Cook covered for 1 hr in the preheated oven. Uncover and cook another 30 minutes. Check for doneness; the potatoes should be soft, the leaves should easily peel off the artichokes, and the chicken should be cooked through.
- Increase heat to 450 F. If the chicken is well cooked and browned, remove it & allow it to rest while the potatoes & artichokes crisp.
- If needed, you can finish the potatoes & artichokes on the stovetop; simmer until the liquid is largely gone.
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
Good day, sunshine.
Gifts for Mother's Day
Make better cookies.