Author Notes: This sweet Italian squash tart has complex deep flavors, a buttery, flaky crust that's filled with honey bathed squash, surrounded by a custard like blanket and sprinkled with sliced almonds. - bellalimento
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- powdered sugar - to dust
- Place honey into a deep sided sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Add cubed squash and cook for approximately 10 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Preheat oven to 395 degrees. WHILE squash is cooking, into a bowl whisk together: eggs, corn starch, sugar and heavy whipping cream.
- When squash has finished cooking, pour cream mixture over squash.
- Spray a 10″ tart pan with cooking spray. Carefully mold pie crust into tart pan. Pour squash mixture into pie crust. Using a spoon, be sure squash is evenly distributed. Sprinkle almonds on top and dust with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until mixture sets up. Allow to cool prior to slicing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)