If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Why French? I have no idea. This is a very old and stained card in my files, so it may date to a time when anything sort of out of the usual must be French.
The crust recipe is my adaptation of an old Pennsylvania Dutch trick. - chava
supercrust in the food processor
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups shortening (1/2 lard, 1/2 butter is great)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons ice water
- Put flour, shortening and salt into the processor. Process quite briefly to a cornmeal consistency.
- Beat the egg with the vinegar and water. Add to processor, process until it begins to clump.
- Is it not quite forming a ball? Add another scant tablespoon of water. Process briefly.
- This will make enough for two crusts - so cut it in half (or make a lattice top, which is quite gorgeous, but then it's not an open faced tart any more..
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 cups cooking apples - be sure they will remain firm in baking
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat oven to 425 while you roll out a single crust . and line a 9 inch piepan, making a high crimped edge.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, lemon peel and spices in a large bowl.
- Add apples and lemon juice. Toss well.
- Arrange apple slices artfully, like - well, an apple tart.
- Dot butter over surface of apples.
- Cover with a sheet of foil, placing a second sheet of foil on the oven rack under the rack where the pie will cook.
- Bake 45 minutes,then remove top foil
- Bake another 10 to 15 minutes until apples are tender.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.