If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have been making this tart for 20 years, and no longer recall the original source - but I do recall the amazing aroma as I transported it to a friend's home! Since then I have served it for brunches and as an appetizer, hot and at room temperature - it is always a winner. Just seeing the recipe makes me crave it. - Dining By Design
- 4 sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Jarlsberg Cheese - grated and divided
- 1 prepared pie crust or make your own - recipe follows
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 tablespoons butter - cold and cubed
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- To prepare your own crust: In food processor, a few quick pulses to mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the butter - process with quick blasts so the flour is about the size of cornmeal
- With processor running, add water, 2 Tbsp, then drizzle remaining Tablespoon until the dough balls without being sticky.
- Shape into a flat disc - Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to tart pan and place in refrigerator or freezer.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Set an oven rack on the lowest position in the oven.
- Saute onions in oil & butter over low heat until golden. (will take 20-30 minutes)
- Beat together eggs, half & half, flour, salt pepper & nutmeg, then add onions and half the grated cheese.
- Pour into crust; sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.