Author Notes: This is a Delicious recipe passed down from my Grandmother. I would visit her in Wisconsin every summer for a month. She taught me how to bake and all of her secret recipes. This is a favorite of all of ours. We have it about 4 times a year. So it makes it extra special when we do have it. The crust is the most wonderful crust I have ever tasted and so simple to make. - jmhanks
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cups Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Saltine Crackers Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 21 or 30 oz Can of Cherry Pie Filling-depends if you want more cherries of less
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- Preheat Oven to 300. Beat Egg Whites, Sugar, Vanilla and Salt until High Peaks Form. Should look similar to a Merinque.
- FOLD in Chopped Walnuts, Saltine Crumbs and Baking Powder.
- Grease a Pie Pan. Pour mixture into pan and Bake for 40 minutes. The Torte will rise and may have a slight light brown coloring. Cool.
- Top with Cherry Pie Filling. Whip Heavy Cream and Powdered Sugar until Cream is thick and High Peaks form. Put Cream on top of the Cherry's and Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)