Author Notes: This is an adaptation of the classic chocoalte dipped coconut macaroon. Coconut macaroon "dough" is patted into a tart pan and baked off. When it's cooled its filled with dark chocolate ganache and a bit of grated orange rind. Simple and decadent and delicious. - Pam H
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 cups dessicated coconut (not sweetened!)
- 1 dash vanilla extract
- 8 ounces good quality dark chocolate, chopped for easy melting
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 1 whole unpeeled naval orange
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the egg whites, sugar, vanilla and coconut in a bowl until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- line a tart pan with a removable bottom with parchment paper. the paper should extend up and over the sides of the pan.
- pat the coconut mixture into the pan and up the sides, aiming for a uniform thickness, and sides that are higher than the middle to hold the ganache in. any leftover coconut mixture can be formed into little macaroons and baked on a parchment sheet in the same oven as the tart.
- pop the crust into the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until just golden. remove from the oven and cool.
- gently warm the cream in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-low heat. add the chocolate bits. remove from heat and stir until the chocolate is melted.
- pour the warm ganache into the coconut tart shell. when it has set up and cooled completely, carefully remove the coconut tart from the pan and place on a plate. Gently pull the parchment off the tart sides and bottom.
- With a zester (not a rasp), zest several long strips from a washed orange peel and sprinkle over the top of the tart.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)