If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an adaptation of the classic chocoalte dipped coconut macaroon. Coconut macaroon "dough" is patted into a tart pan and baked off. When it's cooled its filled with dark chocolate ganache and a bit of grated orange rind. Simple and decadent and delicious. —Pam H
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups dessicated coconut (not sweetened!)
- 1 dash vanilla extract
- 8 ounces good quality dark chocolate, chopped for easy melting
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 1 whole unpeeled naval orange
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the egg whites, sugar, vanilla and coconut in a bowl until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- line a tart pan with a removable bottom with parchment paper. the paper should extend up and over the sides of the pan.
- pat the coconut mixture into the pan and up the sides, aiming for a uniform thickness, and sides that are higher than the middle to hold the ganache in. any leftover coconut mixture can be formed into little macaroons and baked on a parchment sheet in the same oven as the tart.
- pop the crust into the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until just golden. remove from the oven and cool.
- gently warm the cream in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-low heat. add the chocolate bits. remove from heat and stir until the chocolate is melted.
- pour the warm ganache into the coconut tart shell. when it has set up and cooled completely, carefully remove the coconut tart from the pan and place on a plate. Gently pull the parchment off the tart sides and bottom.
- With a zester (not a rasp), zest several long strips from a washed orange peel and sprinkle over the top of the tart.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
Have a ball (jar).