If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my favorite foods is the Greek speciality, spanakopita. Wishing to make the flavors of spanakopita easy to create in my kitchen (without the fuss of phyllo dough), I came up with this tart. I love the combination of earthy spinach, verdant dill, salty feta, wholesome eggs, as well as the undertones of turmeric. I added the latter ingredient after I had read that turmeric is good for your heart and also mixes well with eggs. I am glad it is healthy but I am even more glad it gives a nice layer of flavor to the tart. I make this for brunch parties but it is also an easy weekday dinner (and I often have most of the ingredients at home). This tart really tastes like sunshine; it reminds me of the warmth of the blue skies in Santorini. For this reason, I think it is the perfect late winter tart. It provides a wonderful escape from gray skies, when we are all craving a bit more Vitamin D. - la mere moderne
- 1 All Butter Pie Shell
- 1 cup Crumbled Feta
- 2 pounds Spinach (washed and stemmed)
- 1/2 White Onion (about 1 cup diced)
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 4 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Dill (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Push your all butter crust into a nonstick tart pan with removable bottom. Put back into the refrigerator to set.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil while you stem and wash the spinach. When the water comes to a boil, add the spinach and blanch for 1 minute. Set aside to cool, then drain in a colander, using a silicone spatula to push through excess water. Chop coarsely and set aside.
- In a food processor, chop the onion finely. Mince the garlic. In a saute pan with a tablespoon of olive oil, cook the onion and garlic on medium high for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the feta, eggs, salt, pepper, and turmeric. Then add remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the milk. Add the spinach, dill, onion, and garlic to the food processor and blend again. Once everything is mixed, pour the ingredients into the tart shell.
- Place the tart shell carefully on a cookie sheet (to catch any drips) and cook for 45-60 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Bake yourself breakfast.
Calling all recipe testers!