If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is combined with a crust coming from a old family generation and converted to a healthier version. My family does not eat raw tomatoes, but love eating them roasted. Also a great way to introduce a fun,versatile and delicious new alternative to raw vegetables.The personal love for baking and cooking with fresh, organic and local ingredients helps me serve healthy meals everyday. - chocolatepistachiocheesecake
Garnish ( Candied Bacon and Fried Sage)
- 7 slices of Bacon
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cinnamon
- 1 bunch fresh Sage
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in bowl, set aside. From filling recipe below please roast head garlic and 3 sliced tomatoes and seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper at 375 on a parchment lined baking pan. Rotate until garlic is golden brown and tomatoes are roasted until desired look.
- In medium frying pan add olive oil on high heat quickly fry clean and dry sage. Only takes 15-20 sec. will be dark green. Set aside.
- In the same frying pan drain extra oil and add bacon. Start frying on med-high heat. Lightly brush sugar and cinnamon and flip bacon. Turn heat to med-low and finish cooking bacon brushing each side. Remove and drain on paper towel. Set aside
Crust and Filling
- 3 cups Spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Pure cane organic raw sugar
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 6 tablespoons Organic Fat Free Milk
- 9 Organic Egg whites
- 1/2 cup Organic Fat Free Milk
- 2-3 Cloves of roasted garlic(Press)
- 2-3 Oven roasted Organic Tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- This is your Pie Crust: in a large bowl sift flour, salt and sugar. Add Olive Oil and slowly add Milk (you might not need it all). Mix until it combines together, then kneed. Work in 1 cup of chopped fried sage (leave some sage for garnish). Press into a greased baking pan.(9 inch. Round spring pan) Blind Bake @ 350 for 8-10 min. Remove and cool.
- This is your Filling (while your crust cools): In a large bowl add egg whites, milk, press 2-3 cloves of garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk this mixture pour into baked pie shell and layer oven-dried tomatoes, fresh Mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano. Adding toppings should be done to your desire. Bake in 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Start on the top rack for the first 6 min. Lower to bottom rack and finish until egg sets. Remove and cool for 5 min. cut into pie slices and garnish with fried sage and candied bacon.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)