If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I often make a delicious sweet potato curry soup that is a savory comforting winter meal. Since sweet potatoes and citrus are late-winter finds at the local farmer's market, I decided to tweak the recipe and make it into these tarts. The tarts are a great individual serving for lunch or dinner! My go-to pie crust comes from epicurious, but I've upped the salt to go with the savory dish! —danid320
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 9 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Sweet Potato Chicken Curry Filling
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/4 tablespoon fresh cilantro, to garnish
- First, form the dough. Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut 6 of the tablespoons of butter into the dough until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add ice water and vinegar and mix well. Then, turn the dough out onto a floured work surface.
- Knead the dough for 7-10 minutes, until the butter is well-incorporated and a dough starts to form. Add additional flour if necessary to keep the dough from getting too sticky.
- Roll out the dough to a 12x16 inch rectangle. Cut 4 6-inch in diameter tart; take the remainder dough and roll it back out to cut 2 remaining tarts. Set in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cube the sweet potatoes, mince the garlic, and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Toss with olive oil and place on a cookie sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, turning sweet potato cubes once.
- Cube the chicken breasts. Then, season cubed chicken with salt and pepper and place in a glass baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, add coconut milk, chicken stock, honey, lime juice, chili powder, and garam masala. Let simmer on medium heat for 12 minutes. Then, add chicken cubes and sweet potato cubes. Toss all together.
- Turn the oven up to 400 degrees F. Fill the 6 tarts with the sweet potato mixture. Add cilantro and bake for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
A slim-free way to make okra
Hot dogs made better.
Your poolside essentials.