If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite cakes, upside-down gingerbread pear cake...a recipe that was given to me by a friend of the family. I'm not sure where it came from originally, but it's really delicious. I love the combination of ginger and pears, and so when I heard of this contest I thought I would create a tart with them. Also, another inspiration was that my husband ordered pear tart at our favorite French restaurant recently, and it was really dry, flavorless and boring. That encouraged me to try to make the perfect pear tart for him, so that he could see what it should really taste like. :) —margauxbakes
- 1 recipe favorite sweet tart dough (pate sucree)
- 1 egg yolk
- 3-4 medium to large bosc pears
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1- 2" piece ginger, grated with microplane (about 2 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- Prepare tart crust (my favorite recipe for pate sucree is from Cook's Illustrated). Bake according to directions. Brush with egg yolk with pastry brush, then bake another 2-3 minutes, until egg is set.
- Peel the pears, and slice into 1/8" slices. Toss with lemon juice and ginger in a medium bowl.
- Arrange pear slices in layers in prepared tart shell. Sprinkle turbinado sugar over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until pears are tender and top is slightly browned. Let cool completely in tart pan on cooling rack. Carefully remove from tart pan by removing outer ring and using thin, flat spatula to detach it from the bottom of the pan, and slide onto completely flat serving plate. Serve the same day you make the tart.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
Welcome to Funky Town
How to make kimchi—without a recipe
Make kimchi—without a recipe.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
Eat cookies for breakfast.
The chicest apron around.