Author Notes: I love bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon, and adapted those flavors to this tart contest. In keeping with the late winter/early spring theme, I made sure the tart ingredients were available at this time of year. I added the chopped, dressed watercress on the top, as it is available now in my markets, and who doesn't want a hint of spring? - leslieleslie
- prepared pie crust
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 handful chopped fresh mozzarella
- 1/3 cup chopped smoked salmon (not lox)
- 1 handful watercress, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line small, oven-safe dish with prepared pie crust. Flute edges.
- Place chopped onion in a microwave-safe dish, cover, and steam for two minutes or less to soften.
- Mix eggs with milk.
- Layer the steamed, chopped onion, mozzarella, and smoked salmon into the tart dish. Cover with eggs/milk mixture.
- Bake 40 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the oil and lemon juice, and dress the watercress. The watercress should be dressed with as little liquid as possible.
- When the tart comes out of the oven and cools a bit, top with dressed watercress and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)