If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The citrus offerings at the local market are AMAZING this time of year ... honeybell oranges to cara cara oranges and blood oranges, each one better than the next. Stacked alongside my rudimentary pastry skills, after several days of tweaking and down to 45 minutes left until the deadline, it came down to this:a graham-like crust without graham crackers, thus avoiding the angst of actual pastry, and a no-bake filling, thus avoiding cracking. - wssmom
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup fresh cara orange juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 T orange peel
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 12 ounces soft cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 T sugar or to taste
- Cream togther the butter with the sugars, stir in the honey and set aside. .
- Stir together the salt, the all-purpose flour and the whole wheat flour; using a fork, blend with the butter-sugar mixture until it starts to stick together.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour, preferabiy two.
- Pat into an 11-inch tart pan, starting by patting along the sides, and then filling in the bottom. Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees, lower heat to 325 degrees and bake an additional 5-7 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Combine orange juice, sugar and peel in a small saucepan; bring to a boil and then simmer 15 minutes until reduced by half. Let cool.
- Whip cream untik soft peaks form; then blend in cream cheese and orange syrup until blended. Taste, and add a bit of sugar if you think it needs it (this depends on the sweetness of your oranges).
- Scrape filling into cooled crust; grate orange peel over the top decoratively, and chill a couple hours before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
Express your gratitude for sunshine.
Good day, sunshine.
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
12 Recipes for a Stress-Free Week of Cooking