If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love rutabagas! I think they are a forgotten late winter vegetable and need to show off again. I've combined rutabagas with sweet pears and salty ham to arrive at a perfect blend of deliciousness! Just add a hint of orange marmalade and arrive at a perfectly scrumptious tart! Enjoy! —Merry
- 1 rutabaga, peeled, 1/8-inch crosswise slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 of a (17-1/2 oz) package (1 sheet) frozen puff pastry
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (or 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg)
- 1-2 large pears, halved, cored, peeled and thinly sliced lenghtwise
- 1 cup ham slices (or equal shape and number of ham slices as pear slices)
- 8 ounces Italian Style Creamy Mascarpone Cheese
- 4 tablespoons orange marmalade, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Thaw puff pastry according to package directions.
- Combine rutabaga slices, water, and sugar in a 4-cup microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Remove from microwave and allow to steam covered or until just about soft. Drain water.
- Place pastry sheet in a greased 8 to 9-inch spring form pan or 8-inch baking pan. Beat egg whites in small bowl, brush on pastry sheet. To the remaining egg whites, add pecans and clove; set aside. On top of pastry sheet arrange steamed rutabaga. Alternate and overlap slices of pears and ham over rutabaga. Turn edges of pastry about 1/2-inch over filling. Evenly pour egg and nut mixture over pears and ham.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree F oven for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden. Meanwhile, make Marmalade Mascarpone Cream by mixing in small bowl, mascarpone with 2 tablespoons marmalade; set aside. When galette is done baking remove from oven, gently spoon remaining orange marmalade over top; cool for 5 minutes. Dollop each serving of galette with Marmalade Mascarpone Cream. Serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
Welcome to Funky Town
How to make kimchi—without a recipe
Make kimchi—without a recipe.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
Eat cookies for breakfast.
The chicest apron around.