If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Butternut squash and granny smith are usually harvested during the fall and used through the winter. Savory butternut, sweet-tart granny smith, honey and vanilla in an all butter crust, with a touch of almond meal, make a delicious combo. This tart is a modified version of my butternut pie on site, inspired after a recipe in Savuer for “Tourte au Potiron” or French Pumpkin Pie = squash and apple baked in puffed pastry; found while thumbing through magazines in a Dr’s office. I couldn’t help tearing the page out and taking the recipe home to tweak…and seriously, who hasn’t done that at least once! —lapadia
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cups butternut squash – seeded, peeled and cubed bite size
- 1-1/2 cups granny smith apple, peeled, cored and cubed bite size and coated in 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 5 tablespoons clover honey, plus extra to drizzle on top
- 2 eggs beaten plus enough almond milk to make 3/4 cup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Fresh grate nutmeg
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds for topping
- Melt the butter in a 4 qt Dutch over medium high heat. Add the butternut and apples, cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the salt and honey, give it a stir to incorporate ingredients. Note: Do not double up the squash & apple on the bottom of the Dutch oven – the amount in this recipe will fit singly.
- Cover the pot and cook until squash and apples are soft, but still holding a shape - about 20-25 minutes.
- Set aside to cool a bit while making the crust recipe - below.
- Whisk the eggs and flour then add enough almond milk to make 3/4 cup. Whisk in the extracts and set aside until needed.
- Fill the prepared crust with the squash mixture, grate fresh nutmeg over top. Pour in the egg mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees for 30 minutes; turn half way through baking time.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle sliced almonds over the top and then drizzle extra honey. Bake another 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Top with whip cream or vanilla yogurt.
ALL BUTTER CRUST with a touch of Sugar & Almond Meal
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- Whisked egg white
- Ice water, 4-6 tablespoons
- Put the flour(s), almond meal, sugar, salt and butter in a food processor, pulse lightly - until the mixture resembles wet looking pea size particles.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing a couple times after each tablespoon. Keep adding water until the dough just starts to gather into larger clumps.
- Place into a re-sealable plastic bag or in plastic wrap and pat into a disk.
- Remove to a floured work surface. Roll out to a 10 inch round. Fit the dough into a 9-inch tart pan – double the dough down and press in around the edges if needed.
- Brush the inside crust with egg white.
- Continue - @ tart instruction #6.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Off to market.