If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Maple and pecans combine in this tart to create the perfect ending to any winter dinner. The sour cream gives the filling a creamy, candy-like texture and flavor that is reminiscent of pralines. - mshivers60
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon maple extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- For crust, stir first three ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Mix egg yolk, water, vinegar, and extract together in a small bowl. Pour over first mixture. Work together with a fork until crumbly.
- Remove 1/2 cup of dough. On lightly floured surface, roll to 1/8 inch thickness. Use a small maple leaf cutter to cut into 15 leaves. Set aside.
- Roll remaining dough out on lightly floured surface to fit a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Place crust into plate. Crimp edge as desired.
- For filling, in a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add syrup, sour cream, butter, flour, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Stir in pecans. Pour into crust.
- Arrange 8 of the maple leaves on crimped edge of crust, pushing in slightly to adhere to crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and arrange remaining maple leaves on top of pecans.
- Return to oven for 20-30 minutes more until center is set, covering crimped edge with foil if necessary to prevent over-browning.
- Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes. Slice into wedges to serve. Serves 8.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
Recipe of the Day
Garden Mule Cocktail
Garden Mule Cocktail
Fresh beer, anywhere.
What to Do With Marjoram
How to keep produce longer.
Go play outside!