If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Blood oranges always remind me of ski expeditions in the Alps when I was in boarding school in Switzerland. We would receive a brown bag lunch with a tartine of crusty baguette with butter and ham and a sweet blood orange.
The ricotta pie recipe comes from the Marion Cook, mother of my best friend during my teenage years
. She died a long time ago but I have memories of her ricotta pie topped with luscious strawberries being eaten in the backyard of their suburban New Jersey home.
I married these two wonderful food memories to create my Blood Orange Ricotta Tarte. —belgazou
Tarte Crust and Candied Blood Oranges
- 5 Blood oranges
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup ground lightly roasted skinless hazelnuts
- 2 ounces good quality dark mint chocolate
- 2 cups ground hazelnuts (roast before finely chopped))
- 2 cups gingersnaps(processed to a crumb size)
- 6 tablespoons melted salted butter
- 4 teaspoons orange liquor-Grand Marnier
- 2 pounds whole ricotta
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 medium/large eggs
- 2 tablespoons anise or orange liquor or vanilla
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped blood orange zest
- Candied blood orange segments by Slicing into 1/4" rounds Boil water with sugar Place orange slices flat in one layer Boil for 5-10 minutes turning occasionally Reduce heat to medium -cook until liquid is low and syrupy Remove from pan onto parchment and let cool Melt chocolate in a double boiler Gently roll segments in chocolate until outer rim is coated Roll in mound of hazelnut until the chocolate rim is coated Set aside until tarte is ready to be garnished For crust : Mix chopped hazelnuts and gingersnaps in medium bowl Add the liquor to the melted butter and blend Add butter mixture to hazelnut/gingersnaps Mix well Place the mixture into a 9" tarte pan and gently press it down starting in the center of the pan and radiating outward..than take more and press into the sides of the pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Ricotta Filling Mix ricotta with sugar and than mix in lightly beaten eggs Add flavoring Place into cooled tarte crust Bake at 350 degree about 20-30 minutes until firm Cool completely before arranging candied blood orange segments on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
Throw an Intimate Party for 30—Really!
A behind-the-scenes look at our genius dinner
How to throw a Genius dinner party for 30.
13 essential cooking apps.
We've got the summer blues.
Paint your kitchen in one day.
A better basket.