Author Notes: We love both the intense, fresh flavor and the hearty healthiness of this pesto. It's a really flexible recipe and you can play with the ingredients here - substitute spinach for the arugula if you like, or almonds for the walnuts if you happen to have them on hand. - CozyDelicious
- 1 pound whole wheat penne
- 6 ounces fresh baby arugula
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta until al dente in boiling salted water. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, rinse the arugula and place in a large skillet over low heat. Cover and steam 2 minutes (the water remaining on the leaves is enough moisture).
- Put the arugula, basil, walnuts, parmesan, garlic, and ricotta in a food prcessor, along with 2 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water. Whir until smooth, adding more water to thin if desired.
- Toss the pasta with the pesto and top with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta