Author Notes: I used to live in Soho (NYC), across the street from the delivery entrance to Dean & Deluca. I LOVED going into that store, but was living on a rather tight budget, so I created a challenge for myself: I would go into D&D, shop around and come out of the store with the ingredients for a meal for under $5.00. The result was: The World's Best Sandwich.
The ingredients are: 1 very fresh baguette, 6 slices of Scottish Smoked salmon cut super thin, about 6 TBSP. of Fresh Ricotta, some good quality extra-virgin olive oil, and a handful of Ligurian olives (these can sometimes be difficult to find, so Niçoise will do as a substitute).
- 1 small, fresh baguette (demi)
- 6 slices Scottish Smoked Salmon, cut very thin
- 6 tablespoons Fresh Ricotta
- a drizzle of good Extra-virgin olive oil
- a handful of Ligurian or Niçoise olives
- 1 friend
- Cut baguette in half and then slice each half down the middle, horizontally. Drizzle the olive oil on two halves of the baguette, spread the Fresh Ricotta on each half of the baguette drizzled with the olive oil. Top the Fresh Ricotta halves with three slices of the salmon each and "close" the sandwich with the "clean" halves of the baguette. Serve on a plate with the olives and share the sandwich with a friend. Make sure that with each bite of sandwich you eat a couple of olives. YUMM MEEE!!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta