Author Notes: adapted from Martha Stewart Living December 2010
This recipe is the perfect opportunity to break out your oven thermometer. If your oven is too cool, the meringue will not dry adequately. If the oven is too warm, the beautiful white and red cookie will brown and affect both the taste and appearance of the cookies.
- 1840 Farm
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 large candy cane, crushed finely
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Farenheit. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a heatproof mixing bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir constantly until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch. Remove from heat and whisk on medium-high speed with whisk attachment until stiff peaks form. Use a spatula to gently fold the crushed candy cane into the mixture.
- Fit pastry bag with a plain 1/4 inch round tip. Using a small pastry brush, paint 3 or 4 stripes of red paste food coloring inside a pastry bag from tip to end. Carefully add meringue to pastry bag. Pipe meringue into circles on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake meringue until crisp, but not browned, about 90 minutes. The cookies should lift easily from the parchment paper when completely baked. Move to a wire rack to cool completely.