Author Notes: An excellent appetizer (and a favorite last-minute solution to unexpected guests). It's also delicious baked in individual ramekins and inverted onto a salad. - apartmentcooker
Serves 6-8 as an appetizer
- 1 1/4 cup good quality whole milk ricotta
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs (rosemary, thyme, chives, etc.)
- salt and lots of black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg white
- 6 strips bacon, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- drizzle of good olive oil (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, garlic, pepper flakes, herbs, salt, pepper, and egg white.
- Grease 2 ramekins with olive oil, and pour the ricotta mixture into the ramekins.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until the top begins to brown lightly, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and saute until the fat renders, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the onions and saute until the onions are caramelized and the bacon is crisp, about 5-7 minutes more.
- Loosen the ricotta from the ramekin using a butter knife or an offset spatula. Top the ricotta with the bacon and onion mixture, and a drizzle of good olive oil, if desired. Serve with bread or crackers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta