If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An excellent appetizer (and a favorite last-minute solution to unexpected guests). It's also delicious baked in individual ramekins and inverted onto a salad. - erinmcdowell
Serves 6-8 as an appetizer
- 1 1/4 cups good quality whole milk ricotta
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs (rosemary, thyme, chives, etc.)
- salt and lots of black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg white
- 6 strips bacon, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- drizzle of good olive oil (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, garlic, pepper flakes, herbs, salt, pepper, and egg white.
- Grease 2 ramekins with olive oil, and pour the ricotta mixture into the ramekins.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until the top begins to brown lightly, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and saute until the fat renders, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the onions and saute until the onions are caramelized and the bacon is crisp, about 5-7 minutes more.
- Loosen the ricotta from the ramekin using a butter knife or an offset spatula. Top the ricotta with the bacon and onion mixture, and a drizzle of good olive oil, if desired. Serve with bread or crackers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta