Author Notes: I made some basil-arugula pesto with cashews (all I had on hand) one day to go into my vegetable frittata. I had some left over and decided it would pair nicely with a full tub of ricotta in my fridge...bada bing, bada boom this is what I came up with! - misschels
For the Basil-Arugula Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh arugula leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
For the Ricotta Souffles
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons basil-arugula pesto
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- For the pesto: Place basil, arugula, garlic, cashews, salt, and pepper into a blender or food processor and pulse until chopped.
- With the machine running, slowly stream in the olive oil until desired consistency is achieved.
- Stir in the cheese using a spatula.
- For the ricotta souffles: Pre-heat the over to 350 F.
- Coat four individual ramekins with olive oil cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer beat the egg whites to form stiff peaks.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine ricotta, egg yolks, basil-arugula pesto, and the parmigiano reggiano cheese with a spatula until fully combined.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the ricotta mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly among the four ramekins.
- Bake the souffles for 30-35 minutes or until slightly puffed up over the top of each ramekin. Hurry up, these babies will fall pretty quick after being released from the oven!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta