Author Notes: Paratha is an unleavened flat bread made with whole wheat flour that is stuffed with all kinds of savory things. It is sometimes stuffed with Indian cheese called Paneer.Paneer is very similar to ricotta cheese. I like to use ricotta in this recipe as the cheese is creamy, nutty and holds the bread together well. - suguna
Makes 6 parathas
For the Paratha dough
- 1/2 cup Wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil for frying
For the savory cheese filling
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seeded minced Jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Mix the two flours, salt and oil and rub it with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Slowly add the water and gather the flour to form a soft ball. Add the water cautiously. One might need more or less depending on the flour,weather etc...
- Knead the ball for 8-10 minutes until you have a smooth and soft ball. It should not be sticky. Cover the ball with a plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- In the mean time prepare the stuffing. Mix in the cheese,peppers,cilantro and cumin seeds. Mix well and form 6 equal sized balls.
- Knead the dough briefly and make 6 equal sized balls. Flatten each ball and dust it with some flour. Roll it out into a 3 inch round and fill it with the cheese mixture.Slowly gather the sides of the dough and crimp it together to seal the cheese mixture inside. It will look like an asian dumpling.
- Roll the dumpling into a 3-4 inch round,dusting the work surface with flour whenever necessary.
- Set a cast iron pan on medium low heat. Brush the hot pan with oil and slap the paratha into it. Let the paratha cook for a minute. Brush the top with a teasoon of oil. Turn the paratha and cook the other side for a minute. Both sides should have golden brown spots.
- Put the paratha on a plate and cover it with Aluminium foil to keep warm. If not consumed right away, Keep warm in an oven set at 200 degrees F.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta