Author Notes: Moist chocolate cupcakes using beets as a main ingredient. - Galexi Cupcakes
- 1 cup mashed beets, drained
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cup AP flour
- 3/4 cups sweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two muffin pans with 24 muffine liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, granulated sugar, oil, eggs, and water.
- In a separated bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Fold in the mashed beets and mixed well.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake tins. Bake about 15-20 minutes, until set but moist. Let cupcakes cool down on a separate rack.
- For Buttercream
- Beat butter for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Add 4 cups powdered sugar until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Add vanilla extract, and milk or heavy a little at a time until desired consistency has been reached.