If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I cannot get enough of this recipe. I look forward to cherry tomato season all year long just for this. It is adapted from Bistro Cooking at Home by Gordon Hamersley--the cookbook of Hamersley's restaurant in Boston. I remember getting excited whenever I saw my mom cooking with this book out, because it always meant there would be something incredible for dinner! —UglyButDelicious
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch sugar
- 4 tablespoons toasted pine nut (or other nut like walnuts)
- 6 fresh basil leaves, washed, dried and cut into a fine chiffonade
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add the vinegar, salt, red pepper flakes, and sugar. Transfer the mixture to a small baking dish. Cook the tomatoes in the oven until very tender but mostly intact, about 12 minutes.
- Raise the oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Add the pine nuts and continue to bake until the juices from the tomatoes have been released into the dish and have reduced, 8 to 10 more minutes. (How long to cook the tomatoes depends on your preference; you can serve them while they are still quite red and intact, using a slotted spoon, or continue to bake them until they are quite browned with very little juice left in the dish, but do not let them burn.) Sprinkle with additional salt and the basil and serve hot or at room temperature.
What's Your Ideal Meal?
The52 share their favorite dishes—ever
What's your ideal meal?
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
A better basket.