If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Stuffed with handmade ricotta and fresh herbs these zucchini flowers are succulent. —Viviane Bauquet Farre
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 large organic egg
Stuffing and Flowers
- 1 large organic egg – lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 shallot – finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garden herbs (Italian parsley, basil, oregano, thyme and sage)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 16 large or 20 small fresh zucchini flowers
- 1/2 cup olive oil for pan-frying (or enough oil to cover the pan generously)
- For the batter - mix flour, salt and water in a large bowl. Set aside and let stand for 1 hour. Just before dipping the flowers into the batter whisk in the egg.
- For the stuffing – mix the egg, ricotta, shallot, herbs, salt and pepper until well blended and set aside.
- To stuff the flowers – make a slit lengthwise in each flower and remove the stamen. Using a dessert spoon, place a small amount of the stuffing at the base of each flower and twist the petals so that the stuffing is held safely inside the flower. Place on a baking sheet.
- Heat a large heavy-bottom skillet to high heat. Add the oil. When the oil is hot, dip each flower in the batter and add them to the pan. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until golden. Flip the flowers and continue to sauté for 1 to 2 minutes until golden. Repeat until all flowers have been used, reducing the heat to medium-high when the pan is very hot so the oil doesn’t burn.
- To serve, overlap 4 to 6 flowers in the center of each plate and serve immediately.
- Cook's note - The flowers must be served piping hot, they become soggy as they cool.
- © 2011 Viviane Bauquet Farre — Food & Style NY LLC. Foodandstyle.com
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.