Author Notes: This is my own recipe, based on a rice salad that I once tasted. I was looking for a recipe for the Jewish fall holidays and adapted what I had tasted to the "Seven Species" (of the land of Israel). It contains a bit more than just them, but they are all represented, and healthy, too. - Hummusit
For the salad:
- 1 cup wheat kernels
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1.5-2 ounces raisins
- 1.5-2 ounces chopped dried figs
- seeds from half a pomegranate
- 1 bunch chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 bunch chopped green onions
- 1.5-2 ounces walnuts or natural pecans
- 1.5-2 ounces pumpkin seeds
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In separate pots, cook the wheat and barley in 2 cups of water, each (as you would cook rice).
- Once cooked, mix the wheat and barley in large bowl.
- Shake all the dressing ingredients in a jar, and pour over the wheat and barley, letting it cool together.
- In a skillet, toast the nuts and seeds, then add to the grains.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and season to taste. Serve warm or cold.