If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was trying to make Irish Soda bread with candied orange peel. I gave up on the soda bread when the idea of scones with currants, raisins, candied orange peel, and lemon zest popped into my mind. - Hilarybee
Serves 8 large scones, 12 round scones
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar, plus more for dusting
- Zest of One Lemon
- 1/4 cup Dried Currants
- 1/4 cup Sultanas (Thompson's Seedless)
- 1/2 cup Candied Orange Peel, finely diced
- 8 tablespoons Butter, chilled
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon Orange Essence
- Preheat the oven to 350. Soak the sultanas and currants in hot water or hot apple juice. This will plump them, and make them juicy in the scones.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, vanilla, orange essence, and egg.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture, using your fingers or a dough cutter. (I use a cutter). Work the mixture until the butter is about the size of large peas.
- Drain the sultanas and currants very well. Add to the dough.
- Combine the liquid and dry ingredients, stirring gently with a fork or your fingers. The dough will form a very shaggy ball.
- Dump the dough onto a clean work surface. Form into a large circle. You can cut the dough in eighths, making triangular scones. I like to gently roll out the dough and use a biscuit cutter to make 12 round scones (about the size of a hockey puck). Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 16-18 minutes, until the tops are lightly golden. I try to serve these immediately, but they will keep in an airtight container for up to two days.
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls