If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My whole grain, organic, vegetarian variant of James Beard's Baked Mexican Rice, NYTimes circa 1960's. Only substantive differences: his used white rice, included chorizo, fewer vegetables, no cilantro.
May be prepared in any lidded cast iron pot or braiser, enameled or not, but my 3 qt Le Cresuet French Oven is from the gods. —bret
- 1 cup brown rice, long grain, organic
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil, virgin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 carrots, chopped, approx 1/2'' pieces
- 1 zucchini, diced, approx 1/2" pieces
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock (ideally your own, commerical ok but often very salty)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, fresh, chopped coarse
- Saute onion, carrot, zucchini in olive oil, medium hot, til just soft. Add garlic.
- Add rice and dry seasonings. Brown lightly, approx 5 minutes. After the browning, add cilantro.
- Add enough boiling stock to come 1 inch above rice.
- Cover with tight lid and bake in 350 F oven about 50 minutes, until liquid completely absorbed.
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
A multilayered lunchbox to love.
We give it 8 tentacles up.