If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The idea to use leftovers volcano rice in Tabouli salad came when I was picking herbs at my CSA on one of the many oppressively humid, hot days that was making everyone cranky and squinty. The herb field has zero shade and the curly parsley was the first parsley I came to. Standing in the parsley patch I quickly decided to make tabouli for dinner, as a sudden tasty sounding way to excuse picking curly when I usually prefer flat leaf. Now it wasn't laziness, it was a meal plan. - Hippo Flambe - Hippo Flambe
Food52 Review: Delightfully light and fresh, this effortless salad is bursting with flavors of citrus and chopped herbs. Everything about these ingredients works in this recipe. I reduced the scallions by about half, as I didn't want to overwhelm the salad, and it turned out to be enough for my tastes. What's wonderful about this dish is that everything is incredibly customizable. The feta cheese adds a very complementary tang, and the hazelnuts give the salad a nice, welcome bite. As a note, invest in a good, smooth olive oil for this dish. - goldenblind221 - goldenblind221
- 3/4 cup volcano rice (or 2 cups cooked Volcano rice or Madagascar rice)
- 1 1/4 cups water (plus 2 Tablespoons water)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (divided use)
- 1/2 cup curly parsley, Finely chopped
- 2 - 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, briefly toasted in a dry skillet until fragrant and then chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions or baby onions, chopped fine
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Bring water, rice and 1/2 tsp salt to boil in a pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest possible simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes (20 minutes if using Madagascar rice).
- Allow the rice to cool while you prep the other ingredients.
- Mix the rice with all the ingredients except the optional feta.
- Mix well
- Top with optional feta and serve
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
These beach eats can't be beat.
Shore-fire recipes for the beach.
Get out of the frame.
Chocolate has a meltdown.
These are nuts to travel with.